Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Measuring Morality


Part III of Open Sky by Paul Virilio was significantly less verbose than the previous sections.  In this section, Virilio explores ideas about what he has named “Eye Lust” – in short, the various exposures humans face to all different forms of media in everyday life.

One quote that I found especially striking regarded cultural beliefs regarding visual experiences.  Virilio says on page 90, “The ban on representation in certain cultural practices and the refusal to see – women for example, in the case of Islam – is being superseded at this very moment by the cultural obligation to see, with the overexposure of the visible of the age of image animation taking over from the underexposure of the age of the written word.”

Virilio asks of this a few sentences later, “Should we avert our gaze, gingerly sneak a sidelong look, and so avoid the exploitative focus on offer?  These are so many questions which are not exclusive to aesthetics but concern equally the ethics of contemporary perception.”

These quotes are of particular interest to me because they bring about the idea that what we as humans, choose to look at, has the potential to demonstrate our ethical or moral beliefs.

That is somewhat of a heavy statement, and I believe it to be true in some cases, but it definitely is not a hard and fast statement.  For example, I love magazines – all sorts.  I subscribe to lots of “mommy magazines,” but surprisingly, one of my favorites is Cosmopolitan. 

However, whenever I tell people about my love for Cosmo, they are shocked – apparently I don’t give off a Cosmo-girl vibe, which I can’t complain about.  But just because I read Cosmo doesn’t, in my opinion, indicate anything about my moral character one way or the other – it is a magazine for women, about fashion, relationships, business-life, and much more.  It is more than the stereotype. 

ThoughSports Illustrated, I do make judgments about his character.  But is the swimsuit editions of Sports Illustrated on the same level as Cosmo?  That I can’t answer.
I must say, that when I see a man “reading” the swimsuit edition of

My questions for discussion debate whether or not what a person chooses to look at or in many cases, read, indicates positively or negatively on his or her moral character.  If it does, why?  If not, why not?  

No comments:

Post a Comment