Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mission Statement


The first time I remember being asked what I wanted to be when I grew up was when I was seven. 

The question fell under a section in my School Days memory book, a book I filled in annually with memories and details of each school year.  Although I did not wonder about the question at the time, as I reflect upon it now, I am astounded that a book would ask a child of seven what career goals she wanted to accomplish over a decade later.

Although my answer to that question when I was seven was “a nurse,” by time I filled in the second grade year of my School Days book, I had laid out for myself the same dream that I have today.  I wanted, and still want, to be a journalist.

Now, I am a third-year Communications Studies major at Furman University, with plans to work at a major magazine after I graduate – preferably as a columnist at Good Housekeeping.  I am still fascinated by stories, perspectives, and retellings, just as I was a seven year old.  I still love to read and even to be read to.  My progression is now, I live and breathe words.  Now, I find intrinsic value in that every word in a language possesses its own distinct, articulate meaning.

It is my hope that my experience in Digital Communication this semester will afford me the opportunity to broaden my understanding of digital journalism.  Although I have always seen myself as a print journalist, I am faced with the undeniable truth that the field of journalism is rapidly changing.  New ideas are constantly emerging, and I hope to be prepared to not only face these changes and new way of thinking, but to embrace them.  I believe this class will teach me these emerging techniques and ideas with regard to not only words, but photos and videos as well, and that it will prepare me to enter my field as a capable journalist, with a thorough understanding of the different forms of digital communication.

The topic I hope to explore throughout this class will be focused on the digital communication engaged by the Furman University Admissions Office.  I am an Admissions Ambassador at Furman, and also serve as a member of the Admission Ambassador Executive Board, so I am particularly interested in investigating the techniques employed by Furman Admissions to attract prospective students to the university.  It will also be helpful to the Admissions Office to see if its employees are engaging all the technological resources that are available.  My research will allow me to either confirm the status of the Admissions Office with regard to its technological engagement as satisfactory, or present me with the opportunity to aid the office in further developing its technology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment